Monday, December 3, 2007

Slipped my mind

Monday
19:49 hours
Canteen
Four Seasons Resort Maldives Kuda Huraa

Remember the very lovely Anglo-Indian couple I met?

They departed just this morning at 0900 hours and I'd just like to dedicate this entry to possibly the kindest and most gracious friends-I-finally met.

I remember the first day they arrived, I prepared their room for their arrival and went back shortly after by accident, was supposed to clean up the next room, ha, and in that moment I saw them leaving for the beach and the missus was wondering what happened and asked if anything was wrong.

Employing some quick thinking, "Ar everything's perfect, welcome to Kuda Huraa!"

HA! TRUST ME TO THINK OF SOMETHING LIKE THAT! They took it very well and went ahead to the beach.

The following day I met them in the room and they were in a bit of a hurry. Turns out the mister had to go for prayers in ten minutes and was rushing for a shower so I went on cleaning their room. Had a bit of a conversation there and they spoke to me about their plans for the day and everything. It was just nice having someone to talk to in the midst of mundane cleaning of rooms and that brightened my day intensely.

The following evening I saw them again and they asked me for my name, and told me that they just wanted to know my name that's all. They politely declined evening service and thanked me again.

It was the next day that we actually had a real conversation, where we talked about my internship.

They are always the first to greet me, and always saying that they were hoping to see me that day, they pretty much hoped to see me everyday and I could just feel their genuity and sincerity each time they spoke to me, like a friend, almost like family.

They asked me where I hailed from, ha, man I was smiling at that question, haven't heard HAILED in a LOOOOOOONG time. I told them I was from Singapore and on internship and they asked me what's it like in Singapore and that they were planning on visiting next summer. It was just a very nice and friendly conversation and they were just simply lovely, genuinely concerned about me.

It was yesterday that it was their final day in the resort and I met them in the morning and there they went again, stopping their conversation with a friend, another guest, just to say hi to me and said that they hoped to see me before they left. :D

*Awww...*

Asked if I serviced their room yet and that they will see me later in the room.

It was then that they passed me an envelope, saying that it was a little something to thank me for taking care of them. I didn't even have time to say anything or reject it, and I could only muster a 'thank-you' before they left the room.

In the envelope, a 20, two 10s, two 5s, and ten 1s, total of USD60!!!! Plus a lovely note:

"Dear Shaun,

Thank you for looking after us, you have been fantastic! All the best to you and we know you will do well.

Mr. + Mrs. XXXXX"

I was so touched I nearly cried I tell you, laugh if you want to but it really was a very emotional moment for me.

I was just wondering for the past few days since meeting them, what did I do to deserve their graciousness and kindness?

I met them again in the evening and then again they were visibly delighted to see me and asked if I read the note and I said yes, and they told me to keep the note as a source of motivation. I just told them that it was too much money and I couldn't accept it, I still had it on me and was hoping to return it to them.

They just said waved it off saying it's not too much and that I deserved every penny and it's to thank me for my hard work. Reminded me to keep the note with me. They were sad that they weren't able to see me when they left but they told me again all the best, thanked me again.

I left them a note thanking them for their kindess and also left my email for them should they decide to visit next year and if I'm not enlisted yet.

I was actually quite troubled by this entire episode with them, it just seemed so wrong, that they were paying a premium for a stay, I did nothing for them but clean their room which is a given and expected of me, which I do the same for every guest. I wonder if it was anyone else, would they be the same to them and why?

But right now, I think I have an answer, that the capacity for humans to give is just limitless.

I've yet to watch the movie, "Pay It Forward," too lazy and still waiting for Naomi to find a copy for me :p but I guess it's the entire chain effect that it sets off. I will give to others as they have given to me and to me that is simply the greatest gift.

The joy of giving.

No comments: