Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Lost in Existence continued

Wednesday
19:39 hours
Canteen
Four Seasons Maldives Kuda Huraa

Right the previous entry had an entire lower half cut off due to the network shutting down on me! >.<

And guess what, there wasn't any dive, but the dive manager asked if I wanted to join him to recover a lost piece of underwater torch which cost about US$300 and well it sounded pretty fun so I geared up anyway and we set off. Jo, the marine biologist responsible for a coral reef growing project also asked me if I wanted to join her to pick corals and plant them.

Somehow I decided to join two burly guys instead of a babe and I did not even dive, because I had trouble with the ears shortly after descending. >.< Spent my time on the boat getting a tan instead.

I just finished dinner, was snoozing in my room after a shower. Had a workout at the gym which was refreshing, even though I'm starting to feel some strain on my body, especially my back. Feels good nonetheless, haven't been actively going to the gym daily with my erratic work schedule, tons of back-to-back shifts. It's good in a way, because I get longer day offs when I end at 5pm the day before my day off and start at 4pm the day after my off. :)

Oh and as to why I titled this entry 'Lost in Existence', simply because I was feeling pretty lost, just moving along with time and it almost feels as if I am unaware of my own existence. I was becoming reclusive, didn't spend much time with anyone, slept a lot, too much, and didn't help that my phone and the Internet was not working so good couple o days back.

Had a good chat with my dear friend, Krystle, just yesterday and kinda sorted out my messed up head. Ha.

I'm BACK TO NORMAL and feeling good about it, watched the last episode of Grey's Anatomy Season 4 yesterday, read a bit and had a drink with a new friend Mojo, as well as the Japanese teacher Takuro.

So back to recalling previous days events...

Haircut in Bodu Huraa
Some time during work as a luggage crew, I strolled past the huge mirror we have just before entering Front-of-House, probably for us to keep ourselves in check before we actually step in front and meet our guests, and realised my hair was turning poofy, yes there's no other way to put it.

For those of you who've seen me with really short hair, and see it get out of hand before I actually wanted to do something about it, you'd know that my hair grows faster on the sides than at the fringe, top or the back, hence the term poofy, looking like some weird, creepy clown.

Anyway I was really annoyed looking at myself in the mirror. The more I looked, the more I couldn't stop looking, which hence led me to resent it and at that time I was also feeling pretty adventurous as my days were becoming a little mundane, which was probably how I could be possibly lost in my own existence, so I told myself, why not visit the Indian barber at the neighbouring island for a haircut that costs USD1?

So after work I took the boat over, met a local and asked if he would lead me to the barber and along the way he also explained to me how Maldivians built their homes before coral harvesting was outlawed here.

Some of the buildings were really old and you'd be amazed that they are made of corals, dead ones of course but still pretty amazing. A decent house could be built in a period of two months if they worked at it every day.

"What do you think we use to stick the corals together? We do not have cement."

I was astonished. No cement and these houses were standing and most survived the tsunami.

He explained that most of the corals we see on beaches, those white branch looking types, while they are still alive, they are burnt and under heat, they produce a glue-like substance, strong enough to hold big ass corals together and make houses.

Primitive techniques and materials, amazing what man can do to survive.

So that's a quick lesson in Maldivian history and architecture for all of you, will try to post up some pictures, didn't get to take many as it was drizzling after my hair cut.

Right, back to the hair cut. I arrived after a ten minute walk from the jetty and it was this 3 by 3 m, hole-in-the-wall barbershop. Very old school, with primitive but decent hair tools, and an Indian barber to complete the package.

When I strolled in he was still chatting away on his mobile so i started snapping some pictures of the shop. When he finally ended his conversation I learnt that his name is Bindi or Bindee if I remembered correctly, and he has been the sole provider of hair cuts in Bodu Huraa for the past 5 or 7 years. Talk about monopoly.

Well he asked me what I was looking for, which shocked me actually, as no one, NO ONE, has anything nice to say about his creations and everyone says, HE SAYS, that it's very nice and suits them very well. And did I forget to mention everyone largely looks the same after leaving the shop. Ha!

I quickly told him the length I'd like to keep and let him work his 'magic'. I seriously miss my hairstylist Sandra, she really works magic and I never have to tell her what I want, she just knows how to make me look good. Oh and did I mention she gave me a HUGE red packet for good luck, more than any family member should give me.

It was a fifteen minute affair and quite honestly, though it's not exactly the best hair cut, I am happy with it and the next thing I knew I was running for the jetty hoping not to get soaked. Pretty happy that the next hair cut I get will be in a salon in the heart of the city with shampoo, blow dry and a good conversation.

Annual Staff Party 16 December 2007
The company held an annual staff party last Sunday for the employees and you'd probably be thinking it must have been a pretty lame one, I did and I don't blame you. After all the nearest resorts are about half an hour away and to hold a D&D for 400 staff, boy logistics can be a nightmare.

I was so wrong, it wasn't a lame party.

The day was bustling with activity and I wasn't expecting much, afterall a wedding affair in Bodu Huraa wasn't that much of a hoo-ha either, and judging from previous years pictures of the staff party, it wasn't looking promising. The booming speakers directly outside my room was annoying the hell out of me though, I was trying to nap after a long morning shift.

By nightfall, we had a makeshift stage and dancefloor in the middle of the courtyard right outside my room, in the canteen was a live barbecue station, a sumptuous spread of food and dessert buffet, and fresh coconut juice. I went for dinner with the girls and shortly after when I went to the courtyard, boy the dancefloor area looked like a club!

The party was underway at about 8pm and it started off with a live Maldivian band, really good! They do great reggae as well, worthy of the late Bob Marley. And boy, oh boy, lucky draw prizes weren't lame stuff like toasters or dvd players, it was iPods, PS2s, PLASMA TVS, SONY DIGICAMS, and cash vouchers for the Spa and Resort Shop! Those gadgets don't come cheap in the Maldives that much I'd say. The games were pretty entertaining, old school favourites like musical chairs and limbo dance.

Oh yeah and they have this funny flavoured sparkling juice Holsten that they call NON-ALCOHOLIC BEER. HA!

Well to cut the long story short, I'm getting there, for those of you girls who are appalled at the idea of clubbing in Phuture with despo guys, esp NS boys, who are deprived of the existence of females for five days out of a week, IT'S WORST HERE.

THESE GUYS ARE CRAZY HIGH WITH NO ALCOHOL!!!!!

It was just pretty freaky for me, to see guys pulling other guys away with brutal strength just to be the one up close with a lady, which are obviously few here. I just spent the night standing there with the ladies observing the madness of it all, and yes fending some guys off who were just dying to drag more of them into that hot and sweaty crowd. >.<

Well that was pretty much what happened that night.


I have found myself my old past time, movies! Though there aren't any dolby sound equipped theatres here, I do have capable earphones which produces quality sound and my iBook. Sarah's been my fellow movie fanatic. We've watched The Black Dahlia, Disturbia, 300, I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry. I just downloaded Bee Movie and should be watching it shortly. Our security office does have a decent collection which they try to update for the staff to loan out.

Oh and I'm due for Christmas carolling practise in a bit, the festive season just begun here and boy they have big plans, I will also be doing a week or two in the Kids' Club, we have like 70 kids coming and there's only 2 staff in the Kids' Club, not a pretty sight.

Will update about what's happening, nothing much planned for this week.

Hope everyone's doing good, take care!

21:00 hours

No comments: