Sunday, October 28, 2007

Events continued

Oops! I just realised that I left the entry hanging. Victoria and the rest of us chatted like through midnight til about 01:30 hours the next day.

Back to Mr. Roelens, I had to ask what his story is with hotels and he told us his very inspiring story about how he decided on hotels when he was 14 (I decided when I was 12 but somehow it strayed) and he signed up for an apprentice school which trained him in kitchen through his sister's boyfriend or he thought he was. And it was school after school, and hotels after hotels that he rose through the ranks and prove worthy and today he is in the Four Seasons. And very much similar to him, I personally have a strong conviction of the company's values and the Golden Rule.

He also shared with us some funny anecdotes about his time here, like how his photograph of him in trunks, together with a travel journalist was posted in Germany on the journalist's articles. About how the resort was restored from post-tsunami and also about some accolades and interesting facts about the resort. Oh and you cannot imagine the kind of celebrities and dignitaries we receive. ;)

Anyway, I think by now all of you should have seen my UGLY picture with our president, on The Straits Times on 27 October 2007. That was the day after our meeting with Mr. Roelens so I finished work at about 16:30 and got some rest and we Singaporeans gathered to meet his Excellency in the late evening before his dinner.

It was as Singaporean as it can be I tell you what with all of us there, Singlish came flying out of our mouths and we talked about how we miss Singapore char kway teow, laksa, chai tao kway and you guys know better. >.< But also, it's not that bad that we forget to appreciate the beautiful nature we have here. The president's security team also mentioned how they would like to stay here if they could. What an adventure those guys lead travelling wherever the president goes. His photographer as well who proved to be quite a chatterbox. LoL.

We had a quick conversation with our president, Mr. Khaw, Minister of Health, and Dr. Lily Neo, MP, it was like a meet-the-peoples session in Maldives. And before you know it, we are on the news. Came as quite a shock actually and on that day everyone was asking us if we saw ourselves in the news. I think the shot was taken when he asked me if I done NS. >.<

Anyway, today's my off day and I woke up at 14:00 hours for lunch and I have been here in Cafe Faru using the internet for the whole day. Tomorrow I start my day at 06:30 hours cleaning public areas which I am looking forward to, I'm quite the closet housekeeper. :p

It has never been clearer to me what I want in life and right now I know, that once I return to Singapore, to pick up a foreign language, Japanese or Spanish, work and earn wages for TRAVEL. Meeting all the people who work here has been an added boost of confidence and certainty as many of them have never been home in the last decade other than once or twice to see the family but we all have one thing in common, a desire to see the world and experience different cultures. :) It's the same thing I enjoy in my work as a concierge, diversity.

After NS, I intend to work overseas and until I've seen enough, I will not return to Singapore other than once or twice annually to see the family and catch up with friends.

And this quest of mine has never felt more right than before. :) Coming to Maldives has been the greatest and most wonderful decision I ever made.

No comments: